What is Contents Insurance?

Contents Insurance covers what’s inside the building itself. That’s your furniture and possessions. There’s often some confusion over what’s covered by Contents Insurance and what’s covered by Building Insurance – for instance, are fixtures and fittings covered by Building or Contents Insurance?

Unfortunately, the answer isn’t straight forward. However, some providers offer insurance products which include Building and Contents Insurance combined which will usually be far cheaper than arranging each separately and insures that you are covered for most common eventualities.

Talk to one of our staff

What does Contents Insurance include?

The following are usually covered under your Contents Insurance policy:

● Damage from fire.
● Flood damage.
● Theft.
● Accidental breakage (at an extra cost).
● Vandalism to your contents – including non-permanent fittings such as carpets.

Should I take out Contents Insurance?

Although it’s rare for mortgage providers to insist on Contents Insurance, it’s a very good idea to have it anyway. Usually non-permanent fixtures and fittings, such as carpets, laminate flooring, tiles and curtains or shutters aren’t covered under Building Insurance alone. Your provider will unlikely pay to replace these unless you have Contents Insurance in place too.

Speak to an advisor

Smiling Woman
facebook logo Follow us on Facebook
youtube logo Subscribe to us on YouTube